After repeatedly crashing over the weekend, the portal for first-year junior college (FYJC) admissions will be shut for maintenance on Wednesday.
After students encountered issues with the website for a fourth day in a row, on Tuesday state education minister Vinod Tawde said the site would be shut, and the problems resolved by Thursday morning.
Officials said the June 27 deadline to fill online forms would be extended .
Since Saturday evening, the website has been down as servers were unable to take the load of lakhs of students using it to fill up their college application forms. For the first time, the department centralised admissions and made the process online across the state, but it has yet to make a portal that does not slow down with heavy use. Earlier, admissions only in major cities such as Mumbai and Pune were done online.
“The website will be shut on Wednesday to fix the problems. Even if this delays the admissions by a day, parents and students should not panic,” Tawde said in a media statement. “It is being done to ensure students do not face any technical difficulties while entering their college choices and filling out the online application form.”
So far, more than 30,000 students who passed the Secondary School Certificate (SSC) exam have not been able to apply for admissions because of the server issues. Of the 2 lakh that have applied, only 67, 289 students have completed applications. “The department received complaints about the site slowing down and crashing,” said Tawde. On Monday, the department added two more servers to the existing seven, but it didn’t improve performance. “The servers added by Nysa Asia were not sufficient. This is the first time they are handling the process, so they were unaware of the traffic,” said BB Chavan, deputy director of education, Mumbai region. Officials said they may extend the deadline to June 30, but a final call will be taken closer to the date. “If the expected numbers of students don’t complete forms, we will extend it.” On Tuesday, following complaints from students that cultural or sports quota marks were not uploaded, Tawde said students won’t lose the extra marks.