The first year junior colleges (FYJC) in Maharashtra will start their sessions late this year. The state’s school education department has revised its admission schedule, postponing all merit lists by at least two days. The final timetable will be announced after education minister Vinod Tawde’s nod.
This is being done after the department gave students more time to apply for admissions to compensate for the website crash, which happened frequently last week. The site was shut down on June 23 for maintenance work, but students had complained that it was slow even after that.
On Wednesday evening, Gangadhar Mhamane, director of secondary education, and deputy directors of all regions in the state, met and decided to reschedule admissions for the state.
“We have proposed that the merit lists be pushed further by two days. This will change the whole timetable,” said BB Chavan, deputy-director of education, Mumbai region.
According to education officers, since the application deadline has been extended to June 29 from June 27, the general merit list, in which all applicants are ranked according to their percentage, will be pushed further by a couple of days and is likely to be declared on July 3 instead of June 30. The first merit list may be announced on July 10 instead of July 7. Similarly, second and third merit lists will be postponed accordingly.
Colleges complained that if admissions are delayed further, they will spill over into August and September, eating into the academic year. “Ever since the admission process moved online, our Class 11 lectures begin only by the end of August or September,” said Marie Fernandes, principal, St Andrew’s College, Bandra. “By the time admissions are done, the first unit test is upon us.” Last year, the admission process went on till September, as the department was forced to conduct special rounds since students were unhappy with seats allotted to them. “Some colleges started classes after the third merit list, but students said later that they lost out on lectures.”