The Indian Civil Accounts Services (ICAS) is one of the the "Group-A" civil services of India which functions under the Department of Expenditure in Union Ministry of Finance. This service is created with the purpose of separation of auditing and accounting functions of Union Government.
The functions of officers working in ICAS includes delivery of financial management services for Government of India. The officers selected in ICAS organisation has to provide payment services, support the tax collection system, perform the government wide accounting, financial reporting functions, preparation of budget estimates and carries out Internal Audit in civil ministries of the Union Government.
The candidates that are recruited in ICAS through UPSC Civil Services Examination, has to undergo a three stage training program which is as follows:
- The initial training program of officers that are recruited in ICAS which is for 6 months, is conducted at the National Institute of Financial Management (NIFM), Faridabad. In this, Candidates also get the opportunity of a foreign country exposure tour.
- After that, for second stage candidate has to undergo through a training program at the Institute of Government Accounts and Finance (INGAF).
- The third stage of training program is the on job training (OJT), in one of the Pay & Accounts offices which are 87 in number, spread throughout the Country.
Scope and Pay Scale / Salary in ICAS:
The candidates recruited in ICAS get the perks like attractive pay scale and other advantages. The per month pay scale offered to the officers at different positions in ICAS is as follows:
- For the position of Junior Time Scale grade, the per month salary offered is Rs.15,600-39,100 and Grade Pay Rs.5,400.
- For the grade of Senior Time Scale, the pay scale offered per month is Rs.15,600-39,100 with the Grade Pay of Rs.6,600.
- For the post in Junior Administrative Grade, per month payment given to the officer is Rs. 15,600-39,100 with the Grade Pay of Rs 7,600.
- For the position on Selection Grade (Non-functional) Junior Administrative Grade (NFSG), the pay scale given is Rs. 37,400-67,000 and the Grade Pay Rs. 8,700 per month.
- For the post of Senior Administrative Grade, per month salary offered is Rs.37,400- Rs.67,000 with the Grade Pay of Rs 10,000.
- For the position of Principal Chief Controller of Accounts, the monthly salary offered is Rs.67,000- Rs.79,000.
- For the position of Additional Controller General of Accounts, the monthly payment is fixed of Rs.75,500- Rs.80,000.
The candidates applying for the Indian Civil Accounts Services has to satisfy the specified eligibility criteria, which is same as the criteria described for other Civil Services Examinations. That eligibility criteria is as given below:
- Candidate must be a citizen of India, or a subject of Nepal / Bhutan, Tibetan refugee who have come to India for settling permanently before 1st January, 1963.
- Candidate who is Indian originated have migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African Countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania (Formerly Tanganyika and Zanzibar), Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia and Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
- Candidate must hold a degree from any of recognised universities.
- Candidates must be between the age group of 21 and 30 years, as on August 1.
Their is a relaxation on upper age limit of candidates according to categories as given below.
- For SC / ST candidates, upto 5 years.
- For Other Backward Categories (OBC), upto 3 years.
- For State of Jammu & Kashmir Domiciled during the period from the 1st January 1980 to 31st December 1989, Up to 5 years.
- For Defence Services Personnel, upto 5 years.
- ECOs/ SSCOs, up to 5 years.
- For Blind, deaf-mute and Orthopaedically handicapped candidates, up to 10 years.
- Number of attempts allowed for different categories candidates are:
- For general category, 7 attempts are given.
- No restrictions for SC / ST candidates.
- 9 attempts are allowed for OBC candidates.